A huge congratulations are in order for our very own Arielle Ampeh who has been selected as the recipient of the Connie Collier 4-H Scholarship award for her outstanding work in horse programming amongst her other 4-H activities! Here's the announcement of the award with a write up about Arielle!
Connie Collier Scholarship 2014 Award Winner
Arielle Ampeh of Fairfax County
Outstanding definitely describes this year’s winner of the Connie Collier 4-H Scholarship Award from Fairfax County. Some of her 4-H achievements include:
· 4-H Club Peer Recognition Awards for Mentoring, Sportsmanship, and Pledge Values
· Fairfax County 4H Fair Design Contest winner (T-Shirt and Program Cover), 2012, 2013
· Fairfax County 4-H Achievement Night Awards include the Volunteer Gold Star, Senior Fair Supporter and “Hands” Award (for exemplary community service)
· Served as Fairfax County 4H Fair Queen and presided over the Opening Ceremony to introduce our fair supporters serving in county, state, and national leadership positions.
· Won the Overall Trophy in the Stakes Race on her medium pony at the State 4-H Horse Championships and won Gymkhana Championships in Northern and Southeast 4H Districts.
· Tapped into the Virginia Chapter of 4-H All Stars
· Represented 4-H as a Safer Internet Day Youth Panelist with US Senator Charles Schumer, streamed live around the world
· Served as a VA delegate and a Youth Design Team member at National 4H congress 2012 and 2013 in Atlanta, GA
Over the years, Arielle has served in many 4H positions, ranging from State Dog Council member to Fair Superintendent, and has held many leadership roles at the club and county level, including Historian, Vice President, President, and Camp Counselor/instructor.
Arielle is thrilled to have been awarded the Connie Collier Award to show the top colleges she is applying to that she has excelled in her favorite non-school activity in addition to being a National Merit Scholar and having an excellent academic record.
Congratulations to Arielle Ampeh of Fairfax County!
Registration is now open for Citizenship Washington Focus and Leadership Washington Focus!
What are these events? Well, here's a little bit about it from their webpage:
"What does it mean to be a good citizen or a leader? Are you being a strong civic leader for your community, country and world?
For more than 50 years, thousands of high school youth from all across the country have travelled to Washington, DC each summer to partake in the preeminent 4-H citizenship and leadership experience--Citizenship Washington Focus. And in summer 2014 we introduced the precursor to CWF, the first national 4-H event designed exclusively for middle school 4-H’ers, Leadership Washington Focus.
We have welcomed high school 4-H’ers to put their leadership skills to work in their communities and now we are looking build more 4-H leaders with LWF so they can return as a delegate to CWF.
CWF and LWF are more than just another DC field trip – 4-H'ers learn essential civic leadership skills and leave with the tools that will allow them to bring about real change in their communities."
Yes, we may live only a few miles from our Nation's Capital, but this program connects youth from all over the nation! This is a great opportunity for middle and high school aged youth.
For more information, and to register, visit the CWF/LWF Homepage!